October 6, 2015
Gov. Nathan Deal's Judicial Nominating Commission has given the governor a short list of 11 recommended candidates for three new positions on the state Court of Appeals, according to the governor's office.
The finalists are:
• Patula Circuit Superior Court Chief Judge Joe Bishop;
• Fulton County Superior Court Judge Ural Glanville;
• Georgia Solicitor General Britt Grant;
• Brunswick Circuit Superior Court Judge Stephen Kelley;
• Appalachian Circuit Superior Court Judge Amanda Mercier;
• Nels Peterson, vice chancellor for legal affairs for the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia;
• Fulton State Court Judge Eric Richardson;
• Mountain Circuit District Attorney Brian Rickman;
• Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz shareholder Charles "Buck" Ruffin;
• Western Circuit Superior Court Judge Lawton Stephens; and
• Fulton Superior Court Chief Judge Gail Tusan.
Deal now will have the opportunity to interview the candidates and appoint three to the judgeships created earlier this year by the Legislature, effective Jan. 1.